Training with Any Gundog Trainer
Initial Assessment and Ongoing Training
Training with any Gundog Trainer will generally begin with a one to one lesson where he or she assesses you and your dog(s). These initial sessions vary in length from trainer to trainer.
During the initial session, Gundog Trainers will generally ask about you, your dog and your expectations. TheGundogTrainer.co.uk specialises in training gundogs to work in the shooting field but can also assist if you have other requirements.
If all you want is simple obedience, attendance at basic obedience classes may satisfy your requirements, alternatively, your dog may be older or more advanced or you may have additional requirements, in which case, intermediate training may be advised once you have mastered the basics.
If however, you and your dog are already well advanced, then you may be able to embark fairly rapidly on advanced training, the nature of which again will vary from trainer to trainer. The size of Group Classes varies from trainer to trainer and some trainers do not offer Group training at all, preferring to act on a one to one basis.
There is a need to adopt a degree of realism here .... if you are trained for a full day on a one to one basis, the cost will be higher than if you are part of a group where the cost of the day is divided between the number of participants.
Many Gundog Trainers also offer residential training, which again varies from trainer to trainer. Before entrusting your dog to anyone for residential training, it is worthwhile asking as many questions as possible and doing a little research e.g. :-
1. What will the residential training consist of in terms of training delivered ?;
2. Will the trainer train the dog him or herself or do they sub contract or have junior assistants to do so ?;
3. Ask to see the trainer's kennels and look at the conditions, use your eyes and sense of smell;
4. Do not leave a dog with a trainer at a location other than where the dog will be kenneled;
5. Look at the condition of the other dogs and how they react.
Genuine Gundog Trainers will be proud of what they do and they will want to show you as much as possible.